Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend #1 DOWN!

Dirty Old House: 0
Overly, Confident DIYers: 7!

This weekend revolved around our new house.  Shocking.  I know.

Aut was pessimistic about what we would accomplish.  I was somehow not.  Maybe this is because I am mainly filling the role of Project Manager.  Aut got to play day laborer/hired help.  He was wary that we would be able to prime the entire interior of the house by the weekend's end.  I told him that we had to do it to stay on schedule.  It was the most important step in moving forward.  We needed to prime before any colors could go on the walls.  We need color on the walls before we rip out the carpet.  We need to rip out the carpet before we can deal with our flooring issues.  You see the dilemma.  As the Project Manager, I insisted that we would get it done.  

My Laborer
I was also wearing a mask.  You can see all of the paint particles being refracted by the flash.

I got to say a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO" when the entire house was primed by Saturday night.  He was happily eating his former worries and accepted defeat with grace.  As part of his reward, he was able to sleep in on Sunday morning.  This may mean more to him than any paycheck. 


In other non-related news, I had my first 'awkward' tummy encounter.  And it came from a family member.  Yesterday was Aut's Grammy's birthday.  Aut's mother is one of six and everyone still lives in the area.  This means that family gatherings are far from small events.  One of Aut's aunts is...  a little loopy.  Immediately after our arrival, she had her hands on my belly.  She, then, bent down to kiss it.  She kept muttering something about being excited for us and how huge I have gotten.  The gathering continued.  Kids playing the backyard.  Adults drinking adult beverages.  Family mingling and catching up.  Every time she saw me, she HAD to touch my belly.  I could be passing by on one of my many trips to the bathroom and she would have to touch my belly.  I could be mid conversation with someone else and she would just rest her hand on my belly.

What made this even more awkward is that she was not doing this to my sister-in-law, who is also very pregnant.  I was the target for all of the belly touching.  Um, okay.

As she was saying good-bye to me, she started rubbing my belly again and asked "This isn't weird, is it?  Me touching your belly."  NOW YOU ASK?  And what am I supposed to say?  "Yes, it is incredibly awkward that you must do it every time I so much as breath."

No comments:

Post a Comment